There is much interest in Absinthe, the drink referred to as the Green Fairy or La Fee Verte. People wish to know how to buy it, which type to get, how to prepare it and what is the suggested amount of Absinthe to work with when contriving a drink.
Initially you need to obtain a quality Absinthe that’s abundant in essential oils and that contains wormwood. There are many Absinthe substitutes and fake Absinthes absinthekit on sale that contain southernwood or roman wormwood in place of common wormwood (artemisia absinthium). Ensure you purchase a proper real Absinthe. If you reside in a country where it is hard to find a high quality Absinthe then you might create your own Absinthe using essences via AbsintheKit.com.
Once you have got your Absinthe, you will have to learn The Ritual, or La Louche. This is the traditional French or Swiss means of preparing Absinthe and it uses one shot of Absinthe. Listed below are the instructions:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe to the glass.
– Rest the Absinthe spoon covering the rim of the glass and put a cube of sugar on it.
– Gradually drip iced water above the sugar either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a steady hand to pour from a carafe. Dripping it slowly can give the sugar opportunity to dissolve and drip throughout the slots of the spoon. You need to view a lovely “louche” effect as the water mixes into the alcohol. The Absinthe louches since the essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol although not in water and so have the mixture cloudy or milky when water is added in.
– Sit by and enjoy your Absinthe drink.
The Bohemian or Czech Method is very similar to the Ritual but is a modern method of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian method is scorned by many Absinthe followers.
Instructions and tricks for making use of the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe to the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Place sugar cube on the Absinthe spoon and rest on the rim of the glass.
– Set the sugar cube alight for just one minute to permit the sugar to caramelize and melt. The sugar ought to drip over the slots of the spoon and into the Absinthe.
– Place the spoon in the Absinthe and pour the iced water into the Absinthe to put out any flames and to cause the Absinthe to louche.
– Enjoy your Absinthe drink.
If you want to enjoy your Absinthe properly the you’ll want some Absinthiana – Absinthe glasses, spoons and perhaps even an Absinthe fountain to control the flow of the water. Replicas of antique spoons and glasses can be bought from AbsintheKit.com.
So, what is the recommended amount of Absinthe to use in planning an Absinthe drink? About 45ml or a US shot. Obviously, you may use Absinthe in cocktails too – look for recipes online.