How to drink Absinthe correctly is the issue lots of people have once they have been able to get hold of a bottle of the Green Fairy. In La Belle Epoque in France everybody knew how to serve and drink Absinthe, it was part of the culture and was even more popular compared to wine.
The information of how to drink Absinthe was lost until recent times due to the ban on Absinthe in many countries for many decades. In the United States it had been suspended in 1912 and Absinthes including the “Lucid” brand only have just gone on sale in the US www.absinthe-kits.com in 2007.
How To Drink Absinthe Utilizing the Traditional “Ritual”
This is the genuine technique for preparing Absinthe employed in pre ban times in the 19th century in France and Switzerland. It comes with an art to using this method and it is based on using a steady hand.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe directly into an Absinthe glass or huge glass.
– Rest a slotted Absinthe spoon above the top of the glass and put a cube of sugar about the spoon.
– Gradually drip iced water above the sugar in order that the sugar dissolves and drips through the slots into the Absinthe. Either use an Absinthe fountain or dripper to manage the dripping or use a very steady hand to pour the water from a carafe.
– Watch the Absinthe louche (become cloudy) as the water mixes in the alcohol.
– Enjoy your Absinthe.
How To Drink Absinthe Using The Modern day Bohemian or Czech Strategy
This is a more sophisticated method which is a bit of fun and it is scorned by many Absinthe drinkers. It is often used with cheaper Czech Absinthes and Absinthes which have a reduced alcohol content. Care should be taken when setting alcohol alight.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe directly into an Absinthe glass.
– Saturate the sugar cube inside the Absinthe after which place on an Absinthe spoon resting on the rim of the glass.
– Employing a lighter or match, set the sugar on fire and view it as it caramelizes , melts and drips into the Absinthe, it might set the Absinthe on fire too.
– Gradually pour iced water in the Absinthe to extinguish the flames and to make the Absinthe louche.
– Drink your Absinthe.
Percentages of water to Absinthe rely on taste but a ratio of between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe is the advised dilution.
How To Drink Absinthe in Cocktails
Ernest Hemingway famously created “Death in the Afternoon” – a cocktail of Absinthe together with champagne, but there are several other cocktail recipes for Absinthe. You do really need to understand that Absinthe is certainly a strong Alcoholic drink and is approximately twice the potency of other spirits just like vodka and whisky.
Absinthe and Vodka – Mix 3 parts Absinthe with one part good quality vodka inside an iced glass (out of the freezer) and garnish by using a sprig of mint.
Absinthe Explosion – Combine 3 parts Tequila, 4 parts vodka, 3 parts whisky and 7 parts Absinthe. Put ice and stir.
Absinthe Bloody Mary – Put 1 shot of Absinthe in to a cocktail glass with ice and top-up with tomato juice. Put in a dash of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce and season with pepper and salt.
There are many other ways of how to drink Absinthe and you can even invent your individual cocktails.